Since 1880, the Charles A. Jordan House has held a place of prominence within the Lewiston-Auburn area. The imposing three-story residence with a square tower was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 and deemed “one of the most ornate Victorian homes in the [area] if not the State of Maine.” The owner and architect Charles A. Jordan designed a number of buildings nearby, including Edward Little High School, the Stanley Dry Plate Factory, the Avon Mill, and many private residences. Jordan lived here until his death, when the house was sold to Deacon David French. (The home is alternatively known as the Deacon French House.) In the 1940s, William J. LeBrun converted the property into a 10-room boarding house (known as the Academy House) and the building has been owned and operated by the LeBrun family ever since.
A 2018 act of arson ravaged the house. Quick action by the owners temporarily shored up the roof and stabilized the structure, but considerable and timely restoration efforts must be made to halt further deterioration, and to make the building habitable.
The Charles A. Jordan House requires immediate investment. As an income-producing property, it is eligible for federal and state historic tax credits. The owners hope that the rehabilitated structure, which holds a place in the hearts of many Auburn residents, will once again serve the needs of the community.