Sanford Mill #1 is a 66,000sf former textile mill building established by Thomas Goodall in 1867. Located a short distance east of downtown, the Mill is a contributing resource to the Sanford Mills Historic District.
The building is part of a cohesive collection of historic manufacturing buildings that formerly comprised the main mill yard of the Sanford Mills Company.
In 2006, following years of vacancy and decay, the owner began to dismantle and demolish the structure. Deeply concerned, the town of Sanford contacted Northland Enterprises to see if they could band together to save the Mill.
Through eminent domain, the town sold the Mill to Northland Enterprises which agreed to clean up the existing environmental contamination and rehabilitate the property. When they took it over, the building was a brick shell with, as they described it a “swiss cheese roof.” Northland determined to create 36 income-restricted apartment units and 22,000 square feet of commercial space. They financed with a combination of local, state and federal sources.
The redevelopment scope included masonry re-pointing, roof replacement, installing new historic floor decking replacement, and replica windows. In addition, the building underwent a comprehensive dehumidification and lead abatement program.
Thanks to Northland, Archetype Architects and Wright Ryan Construction for their creativity and vision. This project is the first of the Sanford Mills to be revitalized; giving confidence to the town and to future developers. Maine Preservation is pleased to present a 2013 Honor Award for the adaptive use of the Sanford Mill #1.