The Colonial Inn is a rare surviving example demonstrating a common trend in seaside tourist accommodations – expansion. It began its life in the mid-19th century as a Greek Revival-style residence. Circa 1887 its first hotel addition was in the French Second Empire style; about 1904, a sizeable Queen Anne style addition was constructed; followed by a circa 1920 enlargement in the Arts and Crafts style.
A fire in 1951 destroyed the rear wing of the building and the tower roofs were removed, resulting in the final form seen today. It is the last of Ogunquit’s once-numerous large Victorian-era hotels still in operation as a hotel.
Colonial Inn needed rehabilitation to keep up with guest accommodations for today’s market demands within a busy seaside community.
It was important to maintain the many changes the building has experienced throughout its history in order to retain the detailing of each of its four styles.
To restore its early 20th century character, the building was re-clad in wood shingle siding, wood windows were installed, and an enclosed porch on the east elevation was reopened to return the exterior wall to its original position.
The project team showed patience and careful planning in rehabilitating this rare building type. As a result, the block form retains its distinctive architectural history while providing thoroughly updated accommodations. Maine Preservation is pleased to present a 2013 Honor Award for the Commercial Rehabilitation of the Colonial Inn.