Constructed in 1782, this 4-bedroom, 2.5 bath Georgian style house includes a dock on 7 acres along the beautiful Kennebunk River. Serene views can be enjoyed from the deck connecting to the modern kitchen. The house has many extraordinary original features. It is being sold with a preservation easement. Offered at $598,000.
The stately Hugh McCulloch House is located on 7 acres along the banks of the Kennebunk River. The two–and-a-half story house is significant for its late-18th-century Georgian architecture and its association with American history. Character-defining features include the handsome façade, hipped roof, large central chimney and historic twelve-over-eight windows. A quaint painted wood fence separates the property from the adjacent Summer Street with a stone walkway leading to the welcoming front entrance. Modern updates include a spacious kitchen, rear sunroom and deck and a detached garage.
Constructed in 1782, this house has 4-bedroom and 2.5 baths. Significant features on the interior include original stairways, floors, doors and hardware, raised panel walls, and sliding pocket “Indian” shutters on the interior of the window sash. The second floor has two hinged walls that could be lifted and fastened to transform the eastern side of this floor into a single ballroom or meeting room. Early furnishings, much of which are also for sale, include renowned clockmaker Simon Willard’s exceptional handcrafted tall clock warranted to the first Hugh McCulloch that still resides in the entrance foyer. Willard produced his clocks outside of Boston, where he catered to acclaimed clients including Thomas Jefferson. French wallpaper in the southwest living room dates to 1825, and an adjoining closet interior has retained incredibly rare wallpaper from 1785 depicting July 4, 1776.
The McCulloch House was constructed ca. 1782. In 1801 the prominent local shipbuilder and West Indies merchant Hugh McCulloch purchased the property and the family has owned it ever since. McCulloch’s namesake son, Hugh McCulloch was born there in 1808. The son was educated at Bowdoin College, studied law in Boston and became President of the Bank of Indiana at age 25. Although he lobbied against the National Currency Act, after it passed, he was named the first Comptroller of the Currency (1863-1865), setting up the first national currency and chartering 868 national banks. McCulloch wrote Advice to Bankers of 1863, urging “a straightforward, upright, legitimate banking business…. Never be tempted by the prospect of large returns to do anything but what may be properly done.” He then drafted the National Banking Act of 1864, which remains the foundation of the national banking system. In 1865 President Abraham Lincoln appointed him U.S. Treasury Secretary and he also served under Presidents Johnson and Arthur. The property is on the market to be sold out of the McCulloch family for the first time since 1802.