In 1970, a small group of concerned Mainers began meeting in Hallowell with the initial goal of promoting and enhancing Maine’s engagement under the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966. By 1971, they accomplished this goal with the establishment of the Maine Historic Preservation Commission. This devoted citizens group continued to meet and in 1972 Citizens for Historic Preservation officially incorporated as a non-profit organization, founding the organization today known as Maine Preservation.
By 1984, Maine Preservation had its first permanent office and its first paid employee followed in 1988 by its first executive director, Faith Harrington. In 1990, Thomas B. Johnson became executive director, building the position to fulltime. He was succeeded by Janet Roberts in 1994.
In 1997, Maine Preservation hired Roxanne Eflin as full time executive director operating out of a small back office at 500 Congress Street in Portland. Under Roxanne’s leadership, Maine Preservation established its Honor Awards and Most Endangered programs and was active in advocacy and education.
In 2008, current executive director Greg Paxton was hired. Under Greg’s leadership Maine Preservation launched both the Protect & Sell Program and Field Services while expanding staff. In 2010, Maine Preservation moved into its current headquarters in the Captain Reuben Merrill House (1858), a 15-room, three-story Italianate mansion at 233 West Main Street, Yarmouth, still owned by the builder’s family and leased to Maine Preservation.